Monday 30 March 2015

Types of addiction

Playing with yarn is one of them. I have been crocheting for more than a year. Have made a few blankets, headbands, fingerless gloves and some keyrings etc. etc. 

I have been making a very colourful blanket for last few weeks. It's a fragment of  Sophie's Universe CAL 2015 pattern. It is a great pattern. Looks difficult but is really good written and easy to follow. If you like to crochet and want to make a blanket full of various stitches, I recommend it. Anyway... Why I didn't finish it yet? (Gemma, sorry! ;))
That's why...

I'm not a New Year's resolution person but this year I decided to learn how to knit. 
In January I bought a book 'Knitty Gritty: Knitting for absolute beginner' - that's me! Learnt what was purl, what was knit... But I like challenges!!! I skipped all this boring stuff 'how to make a simple scarf' and bought a book 'The very easy guide to Fair Isle Knitting'. Ups...deep water. But  I love colours and various patterns. I just couldn't resist! 

The book was great for me because most of it was about different fair isle patterns and not many patterns for projects. Knit, purl, knit, purl...no decreasing, increasing, slipping stitches (whatever it is ;)).  I tried few patterns...


Ok...but knitting is not about making hundreds of potholders. I want to make a fair isle jumper one day! Hundreds of them!!! And socks! And nordic mittens!

Next step was to learn how to knit circular. Most of the mittens, socks, hats are made using knitting in the round. I armed myself with double pointed needles and circular needles and a book 'Circular Knitting Workshop'.



Yesterday I started my first real project - hat! I follow DROPS pattern. Wish me luck! I need it ;)

Magda x

2 comments:

  1. I enjoy knitting but not the intricate designs that you are creating, i enjoy knitting pure new wool and then felting it in the washing machine to create new fabrics. When i do knit i usually drop stitches and end up with tiny holes lol, hence the felting.

    Looking forward to seeing how your blanket turns out :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Felting sounds interesting, need to read smth about this :) x

      Delete